Fitness - Health - Muscle - Growth
Crossfit - Exercise - Gym - Running
Ghostly Muscles, Wrinkled Brains, Heresies And Hobbits
The Leverhulme Trust (UK) required Charles Oxnard to present a series of public lectures during his tenure of a Leverhulme Professorship at University College, London. The lectures had to be understandable not only to undergraduate and graduate students and colleagues, but also to the interested lay public. Furthermore, they were expected to meet and venture beyond present-day thought in the subject. This near-impossible task is reproduced in this unique volume.Each chapter shows what is rarely, if ever, done in scientific papers: how the problems truly arose; how the methods came about; the curious collaborators involved; the twists and turns of thought involved in the stories; the solutions that have so far appeared; and the surprising new ideas that stem from the work. In particular, the part played by serendipity becomes ever more evident. Research is very often a kind of "Alice-in-Wonderland" task, and both students and the public alike are fascinated by the inside stories of how discoveries are really made. It is precisely this excitement and complexity that is presented in this book.
"Overall, this is a well written and comprehensive textbook of muscle pathology that will be of invaluable assistance to laboratories reporting muscle pathology" By The Bulletin of The Royal College of Pathologists, Jan 2015
New to this Edition
- Bridge the gap between clinical syndromes/disorders and their underlying pathologies with the guidance of muscle disease expert, Dr. Victor Dubowitz, who skillfully guides you through the complexities of pathologic diagnoses and their implications for clinical treatment.
- Understand and apply expert techniques for obtaining a muscle biopsy, and familiarize yourself with the histochemical, histological, electron microscopical, and molecular appearance of normal muscle and the pathology of individual muscle disease.
- Read the entire contents and download all of the images online at Expert Consult.
- Apply all of the latest diagnostic techniques for neurodegenerative and genetic diseases with a brand-new chapter on myopathies associated with systemic disorders and aging, and use advanced techniques such as immunohistochemistry and immunoblotting to produce the most accurate diagnoses possible for a full range of muscle disorders.
- Stay current in practice with state-of-the-art coverage of genetic markers for individual conditions and antibodies used in immunocytochemical diagnosis.
- Understand the genetics of muscular dystrophies with absolute clarity through the use of brilliantly simple diagrams and tables, and compare your specimens to a wealth of superb color images capturing the full spectrum of muscle biopsy findings.
- Take advantage of international insights and fresh perspectives in muscle diseases and disorders from new author Dr. Anders Oldfors, from the Department of Pathology, University of Goteborg, Sweden.
Muscles, Reflexes And Locomotion
This is the first book-length treatment of mathematical models of muscle functions. Although physiologists, biophysicists, and bioengineers often mention these models, particularly the important Huxley models, Thomas A. McMahon is the first completely to explain them.