Back Exercises For Beginning Bodybuilders
From a bodybuilder's perspective one of the most important body areas is the back. Not only can it be visually impressive but a strong back is essential for intensive training and day to day living. In bodybuilding you are aiming for three things with regard to developing the back muscles: - Thickness of the upper back (traps). - Wide lats. - Highly defined lower back (spinal erectors and lower lats). As a beginner there are five essential exercises for developing these muscles quickly:
1. Dumbbell shrugs - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will develop the traps.
2. Seated V-bar cable rows - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will develop the mid upper back.
3. Bent over barbell rows - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will add thickness to the upper back.
4. Pullups - Aim for 25 reps. This exercise will strengthen the entire back.
5. Pulldowns - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will define the lats. As with all exercises you need to take care in scheduling specific body parts. To begin with you should incorporate your back exercises into a program similar to the one suggested below: Day 1: Biceps, Back, Abs Day 2: Hamstrings, Shoulders, Abs Day 3: Quads, Forearms, Calves Day 4: Triceps, Chest, Abs For the first couple of weeks complete one set but then add one set each week to a maximum of three. At the end of three months you will be ready to move on to more intensive intermediate level exercises.